Thursday 20 November 2014

Hysterical Literature // probably NSFW

Ever since one of my friends showed me this amazing and funny video art, I have been fascinated by it and showing it to everyone. (Well, at least everyone I felt it was appropriate to show this to.)

Hysterical Literature is a video art series by NYC-based photographer and filmmaker, Clayton Cubitt. In each of the videos the settings are the same: The women in the videos have chosen their own clothes and which book they want to read from. They sit at a table and read the book aloud - while an assistant stimulates them with a vibrator! When the woman is "too tired" or "too distracted" to read (the actual wording on the website), the session is over. It sounds weird and it is weird, but it's also hilarious, beautiful and liberating art.

I was shocked the first time I watched it, but then I started paying attention the text, and later their gestures. Much like a great painting, you can discover little details, you didn't notice before. And like great art, it's very entertaining.

photo via thedailybeast.com

No comments:

Post a Comment